Today in Middle-Earth: The charge of the Riders (March 4th, 3019 T.A.)
’Helm! Helm!’ the Riders shouted. ‘Helm is arisen and comes back to war. Helm for Theoden King!’
And with that shout the king came. His horse was white as snow, golden was his shield, and his spear was long. At his right hand was Aragorn, Elendil’s heir, behind him rode the lords of the House of Eorl the Young. Light sprang in the sky. Night departed.
’Forth Eorlingas!’ With a cry and a great noise they charged. Down from the gates they roared, over the causeway they swept, and they drove through the hosts of Isengard as a wind among grass.
When we read, our eyes move across a page or a screen to digest the words. All of that eye movement slows us down, but a new technology called Spritz claims to have figured out a way to turn us into speed-readers. By flashing words onto a single point on a screen, much like watching TV, Spritz says it will double your reading speed.
After checking out the website I feel it’s time to get healthy.
I’ve done the first 2 of these so far… I could hardly get past 3 sets of either. Must mean they’re good exercises, or I’m horribly out of shape…
I WANT TO BE BATMAN
Lupita Nyong’o wins an Oscar for portraying a real life slave, and the first thing she did was thank Patsy for her inspiration.
Jared Leto wins an Oscar for portraying a trans woman, and doesn’t mention trans women at all.
I think the point makes itself.
Leto defenders will bring up his blanket “and everyone who suffered injustice” bit of his speech like that counts - and it doesn’t. If you want to thank someone, you shine a spotlight on them specifically and deliberately. And Leto did not do that.
Stop defending that transmisogynist.
"Gyda, I have come to say goodbye to you, properly. I’ve been thinking about you, about when you were small. You were so lively you could run as swiftly as the wind. You were like a quick-silver. But then, before I knew it, you stopped running here and there and everywhere, and you became still. At 12 years old you had the stillness and the calm of a fine woman. What children you would have produced! What joy that would have brought to all of us!
Dear child, Gyda, you are not gone because you are always in my heart. They say that a man must love his sons more, but a man can be jealous of his sons and his daughter can always be the light in his life.
I know very well that you are with the Gods. But I will wait here, a while, and if you wanna come and talk to me, then come and talk., and I will gently stroke your long and beautiful hair once again with my peasant hands.”
Please don’t repost, thank you! :3
High quality prints available soon, after I add a little jellyfish cat / cat jelly / jellykitty?? into the picture (yes, more opportunities for word games lol). If you’re interested, please email me at email@example.com to be notified when they’re available!
This is one of the reasons The LEGO Movie hit wayyy closer to home than Frozen to me. Instead of a problem that only tackles some few, selected people, you can’t deny that at least at one point you have looked at yourself and felt worthless because everyone around you outshines you even in the things you’re good at.
That’s one of the reasons this movie made me legitimately cry in the theater, that, and due to the fact that the moral that accompanies this is much more empowering than just “letting it go”.
And let’s talk about that facial expression at the end like I didn’t know a lego could make me cry.
I feel like it was meant for college students
I get very angry when I see clips or think about the 1982 movie “Gandhi” where Ben Kingsley dresses in brown face to play Gandhi. And now I’m even more furious because I looked at the IMDB page and how many oscars were won. How did they get away with this? like wtf. THEY WON BEST COSTUME DESIGN. wtf wtf wtf
I don’t want to dispute the fact that casting white people as POC is completely awful and wrong, but Kingsley is actually mixed race. His father was a Kenyan-born Indian, his mother was white.
His real name is Krishna Pandit Bhanji… according to his wikipedia page.
I do agree that an actual Indian citizen would have been a better choice as Kingsley was born in Britain, and they did darken his skintone, but Kingsley is not a super-white dude on the same level as say Benedict Cumberbatch
- Because while everyone is worrying so much about Leo with his four nominations and no wins, no one’s starting a meme for Amy Adams with her FIVE nominations and no wins.
- Because Leo’s four nominations equal a significant fraction of the fourteen times black actors and and actresses have actually WON since the inception of the Academy Awards.
- Because it’s insulting as hell to the winners to imply Leo should have won before considering two of those losses were due to black actors taking home Best Actor Oscars. (His first loss was to Tommy Lee Jones in “The Fugitive.” Good luck beating that role.)
- Because when everyone was whining about Leo not getting his fourth nomination for “Django Unchained,” everybody was ignoring the bullshit behind Samuel L. Jackson not getting his second nomination after nineteen years for the same damn movie and an equally great performance.
- Because it’s another year of all-white Best Actress nominees, a category which has had literally only ONE black winner in its entire history.
- Because even Kate freakin’ Winslet didn’t win until her fifth nomination.
- Because the same damn actors being nominated over and over and OVER again for these awards is a problem, not because they deserve more awards, but because it means smaller movies and unknown actors and better-acted roles can get ignored because, you know, Meryl Streep was in another movie this year. (And I adore Meryl Streep, but … yeah.)
- Because it’s like a symbol of what the main problem with the Academy has been for years — that the Academy is a white boys’ club, and the fact that the Internet is so desperately worried that a white man might not win an Oscar that they turned it into a popular fucking meme just encourages the Academy to keep carrying on with their racist, sexist bullshit.